tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 05 11:27:08 2002

Re: Tao Te Ching

ghItlh Nick Nicholas:

> > Hegh luqImHa'be'mo' [A] Daq Hop lengbe'.
>
> Probably Daq HopDaq; I don't think it safe to assume leng is
> transitive. (Yes, I know transitivity is a very sore point on this list.)

HolQeD Dec 98.
/leng/ is included with those verbs of motion where a locative describes the
means by which you are traveling; an object is the destination.

> > vay' cherlu'chu'pu'bogh cherHa'moHlaH pagh.
> > vay' 'uchlu'chu'bogh narghmoHlaH pagh
> > reH no' quvmoHtaH puqpu' puqnI'pu' je.[A]
>
> Prosaic. no' vuvtaH tuqnI' 'ej mevbe'?

tuqnI' ?  Were you thinking tuqnIgh?

> Not sure why you're avoiding the adjective.

In many sentences she used /-bogh/ed verbs instead of adjective.  I saw this
too but felt that, her not being a beginner, she must have had her reasons; so
I didn't comment.

> > buy'chu'pa' 'un, Dateb 'e' yImev.
>
> 'un Datebchu'DI', SIbI' yImev.

I find these to have very different meanings.
Yours says "WHEN the pan is completely full, stop."
Hers says "BEFORE the pan is completely full, stop."
In philosophy, that's a big difference.

> > Qu'lIj Data''DI', yItlheD [D].
>
> Data'DI'. yIHeD is unKlingonic,  but that doesn't mean it's wrong. I
> think rInDI' Qu'lIj is more to the point.

HeD is retreat; whereas, after completing your task you could push on ahead, go
more forward, instead of retreating, pulling back.
Sure, even I could argue against my own arguement, but since we do have other
vocabulary available, I think "leave" or "depart" are better.

> > juHlIj DachermeH yav SaS yIwIv.
> > bIQubqu'taHvIS yablIj yIjotmoH.
>
> juH Dacherpa', SaSnIS yavlIj.
> nab Dawuqpa', joynIS yablIj.

typo I believe.  jotnIS.

> > Subbogh Dol 'ellaH Hap Hutlhbogh Dol'e'.
>
> Dol Sub 'ellaH Dol buy'Ha''e'?

eeewww.  I prefer hers.

DloraH, 'utlh

Back to archive top level