tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 08 16:52:34 2002

Re: "Floreat Majestas"

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>

> qe'San wrote:
> >I'm looking to translate my family motto into tlhIngan Hol.
> >The Latin is "Floreat Majestas" and the English "Let Majesty Flourish"
> >
> >The help I'm after at this stage is some pointers towards words or
phrases
> >not a full translation as I'd want to do some of it.
> >
> >For Flourish I thought about "prosper" - chep
> >but then wondered about <taHpu'> as being more appropriate.
>
> Why the perfective suffix {-pu'}?  Is the act of continuing
> completed?

No I was just stupid... "perfect - perfective"... I don't know what I was
thinking of.. I should I suppose have used [-chu'] to fit what I was trying
to say... Every mistake is a lesson...

>I.e. is majesty to flourish no longer?  The simpler formula
> {[reH] taHjaj} "May X continue [forever]! (Long live X!)" has been used by
> Okrand for sayings and slogans:
>
>    taHjaj boq
>    ["May the alliance continue" (untranslated in TKD p.173)]
>
>    reH tlhIngan wo' taHjaj!
>    May the Klingon Empire continue forever! PK
>    (i.e. "Long live the Klingon Empire!" which we heard in TNG)
>
>    reH tlhInganpu' taHjaj!
>    Klingons forever! PK
>
> And there's Krankor's well-known Klingon anthem *{taHjaj wo'} "Long Live
> the Empire!" which is sung at the KLI's qep'a'mey.

Thanks. qavan

I have a question re prosper.. in TKD it's listed as
chep - prosper, be prosperous (v)
is it "(to) prosper" + "be prosperous" or just the latter. As it's like that
in the K-E side I assume "prosper" is not a look-up word.

Is there a difference between the essence of <chep jIH> -  "I prosper" and
"I am Prosperous"

I was thinking that maybe chep may be nearer to flourish than just go on.
Depending on what is said about chep I wonder if

I like

chepjaj nur'a'

> >Majesty on the other hand has somewhat stumped me as to an applicable
word
> >or phrase.
> >Maybe <nur>:
> >     nur'a' taHpu'jaj      ????
> >or
> >     nurna' taHpu'jaj      ????
>
> According to Webster's Dictionary, "majesty" means:
>
>    1 : sovereign power, authority, or dignity
>
> {woQ}    "authority, political power"
> {woQ'a'} "ultimate power"
>
> {ngup} "authority, power; one in authority, one in charge (slang) KGT
>
> {nur} "dignity"
>
>    2 -- used in addressing or referring to reigning sovereigns and their
>         consorts <Your Majesty>, <Her Majesty's Government>
>
> Klingons use the honorific suffix {-neS} or the common title {joHwI'} "My
> Lord, My Lady" for this when addressing their betters.
>
>    3 a: royal bearing or aspect : GRANDEUR
>      b: greatness or splendor of quality or character
>
> We have {Dun} "be wonderful, be great" or the slang term {qu'} "be great,
> be wonderful, be excellent, be superlative, be splendid" - the non-slang
> meaning is "be fierce" - which you could turn into an abstract ghach'ed
> noun:  *{DuntaHghach}, *{qu'taHghach}, etc.
>
> Another approach is to re-define the word in Klingon terms, which will
> sometimes lead you to the right words in tlhIngan Hol.  What would
> "majesty" mean to a Klingon warrior if s/he had to explain it?

I used the same meanings which is why I used dignity. I wasn't sure it
fitted the original meaning but I think as you mentioned it also I will
stick to it and use the [-'a'] suffix on it.  i.e. [nur'a']

Next question.. Is there a chance that a motto would follow the toast rules
and if so have I got it right that the order is O-S-V-jaj

or in this case if the words are acceptable:

  nur'a' chepjaj

qe'San

> And, of course, there's our old friend {batlh} "honor" when all else
fails.

I had considered that one also especially as I wanted a the motto for my
Klingon house rather than just a direct translation... I think if nothing
had been found I would definitely have gone up that road.

> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

qe'San

Back to archive top level