tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 26 05:58:26 2002

I'm the newbie

Hello, everyone!

First let me introduce myself: I'm a 24 yr old student of physics. I'm
married for 4 yrs now and I live in good ole Germany together with my
wife. I have been studying Klingon before but without much success. Som
weeks before my interest has relighted and this can be thought of as my
second attempt to get the whole thing up and running!
You might kindly notice that English is a second language for me, so
don't be too strict with me if I make any errors - although any kind of
correction is deeply appreciated.

As my first posting I would like to take that discussion about the usage
of more than one -be' or -'e' with one word.
Anyone who has studies Latin will know the stylistic tool of the double
negation. It is not so prominent in English I believe. The double
negation normaly will be interpreted as a stronger form of saying yes:

jIQoch - I agree
jIQoch'be - I disagree
jiQoch'be'be could be a respond to the someone saying:"Well, I have the
feeling you disagree!"
One would respond: "No, no, I don't disagree" which is stronger that
just saying "I agree".

I hope that one has not been posted before!

Hope to have a great time with all of you!
Alex

Back to archive top level