tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 13 17:47:04 2002

Re: KLBC: Higher numbers

Terran units of measure supporting the Klingon concept in Will's message.

I think the idea seems quite logical.. In UK we have things we measure in
pints and things we are forced to measure in Litres... Or should I say as an
example the EC dare not try to force Brits to go down the pub and ask for
fraction of a litre... They accept that a Pint is as much a title as it is a
measure.

Yes it is possible to convert but you get stupid figures so why bother...
When things like recipe books give ingredients in say grams and Ounces they
put in a warning that either can be used but they must not be mix grams of
one ingredient and Ounces of another as they are not direct conversions..

Yes there are 8 UK pints in a Gallon and people will compare 2pints to a 1
litre because and a producer will often use that approximation when
converting to Metric.  They are both measurements of volume but are not
readily comparable and a Gallon is no where near approximately 4 Litres.
The two are just different measurement types.

Just a last note: In the back of my Oxford Dictionary it states "1 litre is
almost exactly equivalent to 1,000 cubic centimetres." They don't bother
being exact. Both are a measure of capacity but one rooted in linear squared
measure often designating an empty containers capacity and the other used
typically for a volume or contained capacity of say a fluid.

As with anything there are always exceptions but I'm sure you see what I
mean.

qe'San