tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 13 09:26:29 2002

Re: a word is needed?

> borrowing from "You are cordually invited"
>
> Centuriea ago the Klingons threw out their old gods.
>
> turns into (i hope)
>
> vatlhmey DIS pH [god]pu' ngo' woDta' tlhInganpu'
>
> i was unable to the word for god in TKD, KGT or TKW

Check out the word {ben} to replace {DIS}. Also note that it is probably
controversial to put the noun suffix {-mey} on a number, since numbers are not
nouns, but are instead chuvmey. I don't think we've seen plural suffixes on
numbers anywhere in canon.

As for "gods", you should try the New Words list at:

/tlh/newwords.html

This is the place where words from all Okrand sources other than TKD and KGT
are gathered together. In particular, the word you want is:

Qun
(n) god, supernatural being [NEWS]

Okrand sent this word to us back when he was participating in an MSN news list
a few years ago. The entire text of the post he sent was:

Qun:

There is a Klingon word that could be translated "god" or "supernatural being":
<Qun>.

In talking of times long ago (pre-Kahless?), Klingons mention these beings, and
there seem to have been a good number of them (the plural of <Qun> is <Qunpu'>
since they are or were presumably capable of using language, which is what the
plural suffix <-pu'> implies). Though too little is known of ancient Klingon
theology, there doesn't seem to have been a single <Qun> that stood out from
the rest. Indeed, the <Qunpu'> appear to have acted collectively.

<Qunpu'> are distinct from <qa'pu'> "spirits" (such as the spirits of the
dishonored dead which reside at Gre'thor).

<Qun'a'> "great god" (<Qun> plus <-'a'>, the augmentative suffix) may or may
not be an appropriate translation for a single supernatural being in a
monotheistic system, since the <Qun'a'> would still be one among many.

I hope this helps.

Will

Back to archive top level