tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 01 12:30:56 2002

Re: mu'mey chu' vItIv

ja'pu' peHruS:
>tetlh is a list, chem refers to grid cells.

ja' SuStel:
>Thanks to /peQ chem/ using /chem/ as a separate word, if someone uses /chem/
>in a way not already established by Okrand, I'm not going to bat an eyelash.
>Do you REALLY doubt that it means "field"?

It obviously means "field" in the way physicists (or at least Trek
scientists) use the term.  In real life, it's a measureable attribute of a
region of space where each point has a vector value associated with it,
defining a magnitude and direction of the field's strength.  Moving
electrons create a magnetic field; electric charge or time-varying
magnetism creates an electric field.  Flowing water can have a "velocity
field".  We have a Klingon word for gravity; I'd accept {tlham chem}
without even considering that it might be wrong.

It does NOT obviously mean the same thing as {DaH} but in more dimensions,
which is what I think peHruS is going for.

Will: > And I'm really mystified as to how you got it to mean "grid cells".

SuStel: > As am I.

I've stopped scratching my head about *how* his bizarre twists of meaning
come about, and now I just wonder *why*.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level