tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 15 09:37:41 2002

Re:vajHom

lab Sangqar

 > how will it help my communication to use a language feature that I believe
 > is defensible from the point of view of Okrandian canon, when I know the
 > list is going to misinterpret it? That is my point.

lab SuStel

 > Then you should get the list to wake up and realize its mistake. Don't
 > perpetuate errors simply because you want to be understood in the current
 > moment.

There have been cases where everyone on the list was doing something the
way everyone else on the list was, and one lone voice pointed out that it
was wrong.  These were the voices of people who had learned Klingon very
well, and who were backing up their arguments not with whining, intuition
or examples from other languages but with TKD instructions, canon
quotations, and patient reasoning.  It's not instantaneous, but when it
happens a good number of people say "maybe you're right" and change their
behaviour.

If you have a canon reason for writing something some way and "everyone"
disagrees, defend yourself in canon.  Listen VERY carefully to arguments to
the contrary, to ensure that you are right.  It's very important that there
not be a tyranny of those habituated to list usage.  That's one of the
reasons why I like self-taught newbies so much.

Back to archive top level