tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 12 20:58:59 2002

Re: hello

lab Christoph

 > Yes, you are right(of course) - I am just having problems starting a
conversation without some sort of > greeting first. Not because of
politeness, but simple because I would want to make sure the other
 > one pays attention. Well, I will have to learn.

If you're having trouble because of a cultural prohibition on speaking
directly, yes, get over it.
If you're really concerned that you might not have the person's attention,
you could say HIqIm!  or say the person's name.  I believe at qep'a' I
sometimes punch someone in the shoulder or otherwise get their attention
before speaking to them.  You can also take advantage of a buffer of about
seven seconds where your brain keeps track of things you haven't been
paying attention to.  That';s how you can answer a question that was asked
when you weren't paying attention.  In an e-mail there is clearly no need
for a greeting or attention gettign word of any kind, because if they are
reading the e-mail, they're paying attention, by definition.

Back to archive top level