tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 05 12:22:52 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: moq (v)

>Klingon word:   moq
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     beat (something)
>
>Additional Notes:
>KGT.  Implies the use of an implement.

This is a command used when dueling:

   When the parties are ready, a third party, sort of a referee, says {moq},
   the signal to begin. The verb {moq} literally means "beat" and it is a
   clipped form of, perhaps, {vImoq} ("I beat it") or even {vImoqpu'} ("I
   have beaten it"). In times past, one would hit something (such as a drum)
   with a stick to indicated the start of the duel; today, one simply says
   the word "beat". (KGT 69)

The most general verb is {qIp} "hit (with hand, fist, implement)".  Cf.
also {mup} "impact, strike".

Specific kinds of hitting/beating include {tlhaw'} "hit (percussion
instrument) with fist", {weq} "hit (percussion instrument) with palm" and
{chuHchu'} "hit with a thrown spear".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons