tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 30 20:02:04 2002

RE: adverbials

> >Nouns can be used as subjects or objects.  Some words can be used as
> >time-stamps; some (usually with the -Daq suffix) can act as locatives.
>
> so obviously /-Daq/ changes something that was to be used as
> subject-object into something that is to be used in the header.

Nouns can be used as a subject/object OR in the header.  The -Daq doesn't
steel the noun away from the body.  It is possible for an object to have
a -Daq on it.

> this
> is not so easy to say. it would be shorter to say that /-Daq/ turns a
> noun into a header, but that's not correct... it turns a sobject into
> a header... how do you say this?

It turns a noun into a header.

Anybody can become president; or they can work at McD.  If I punch somebody
that works at McD, am I going to go to prison for attacking the President,
just because everybody (nouns) COULD be a president (object/subject)?

How do you know a subject/object isn't steeling the noun away from the
header area?  :P

> >The noun /batlh/ can be a subject or object.
>
> >The adverbial /batlh/ can only be used as an adverbial, showing up before
> >the OVS body (in the header area).
>
> so i cannot use the noun /batlh/ in the header area, wheras i can use
> the noun /ram/ in the header area?
> tell me, you don't like to see it this way, neither, do you?

Actually the noun /batlh/ could be in the header if it had a -vaD or -mo'.

> >(** the following requires a fixed-width font)
> >
> >wa'Hu' Qe'Daq nom yaS qIp HoD
> >"Yesterday in the restaurant the captain quickly hit the officer."
> >
> >|- - - h e a d e r   a r e a - - -| |- - b o d y   a r e a - -|
> >|                                 | |                         |
> >time-stamp | locative | adverbial | | object | verb | subject |
> >           |          |           | |        |      |         |
> >  wa'Hu'      Qe'Daq       nom         yaS     qIp     HoD
> >
> >  (noun)      (noun)   (adverbial)    (noun)  (verb)  (noun)
>
> beautiful.
>
> so, referring to what i wrote earlier, /-Daq/ turns a body part into
> a header part. ok?

In this example, Qe' was never part of this body.  It was taken from the
pile of words (the dictionary) and placed in the locative position; and
because it's being used as a locative in this sentence, it get's a -Daq so
we know what it's doing here.

> suffixes. for example, they select the noun from a body to have a new
> bodypart: /Qong yaS/ <body> -> /Qongbogh yaS/ <bodypart>. or they can
> turn a body into a header: /Qong yaS/ <body> -> /Qongchugh yaS/
> <header>.

I wouldn't say that last one goes in the header.  It has a verb and a
subject; the type 9 turns it into a clause that modifies the main sentence.

It's not simple.  Languages evolved over centuries, developed by many people
in many groups over different regions.
Why does [i] come before [e] except after [c], except in words like "weird"?

Even if someone here can explain THIS rule, there are somethings that just
can't be explained.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level