tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 15 19:39:54 2002

RE: Klingon WOTD: wav (v)

Holtej:

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, July 14, 2002.
>
>Klingon word:   wav
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     divide
>
>The Klingon Word Of The Day is brought to you by Holtej
>([email protected]).  Please contact me with additions, corrections
>or comments.

Sangqar:

> Not in the mathematical sense.  (My degree is in math, so it's
> important to
> me to point this out.)

> Basic math:

> . . .

> Division:
> X / Y = Z
> Ylogh boqHa''egh X, chen Z

> From HolQeD 9:3

Careful. The terminology for representing division does not include <wav>,
but we cannot assume that <wav> cannot apply to the mathematical operation
of division. In English, we use the word "plus" to describe addition, and
"times" to describe multiplication. And the Klingon word <chel> - "add" can
certainly be applied to the mathematical operation. Think of the slang for
accountant - <chelwI'>.

Here's an example of what a Klingon grade school word problem might look
like:

wo'Daj chav voDleH, 'ej wej yermey chenmoH. Hoch puqbe'Daj wa' yer nob.
cha'maH Soch Sepmey ngaSchugh wo' naQ, 'ej rapchugh yermey, Sep 'ar ngaS
Hoch 'ay'?

pagh

Back to archive top level