tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 12 08:40:17 2002

Re: lolmoH

As a professional pilot, flight instructor, and the person for whom Maltz
provided this word, I feel quite qualified to explain this word.

The attitude of an airplane is its orientation with respect to the
horizon.  It is explicitly independent of its angle of attack, direction of
travel, speed, or whether or not the pilot takes instructions well.

In English we define four basic attitudes: cruise, nose up, nose down, and
banked.  I have to go to work now, but will explain further when I return.

Altitude is how high the airplane is, the Klingon word is 'Iv, and in
English you are "at an altitude."

>Attitude when referring to aircraft flight is the angle of attack and
>direction of flight... whether the craft is pointed up or down (also
>referred to as 'pitch') but where pitch is strictly which direction the
>nose is pointing, attitude also takes into account the actual DIRECTION
>of flight.

Back to archive top level