tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 02 10:53:56 2002

Re: Who is Maltz?

matlh mIStaq:
 >> Ain't he one of the guys shown on the cover of TKD?
 >> BTW: is there a word for "book cover"?

SuStel:
> > paq HurDaq matlh tu'lu'
> >
> > But then it sounds like he hopped out of it and we have to stuff him
> > back inside . . . .

DloraH:
>How about "top, lid" or "outside surface".

<<tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom>> yorDaq matlh cha'lu'.
Matlh is displayed on the (exterior) top of "The Klingon Dictionary".

I like this:  {paq yor} "front cover (of a book)", {paq pIrmuS} "back cover
(of a book)"

For those who are wondering, Okrand introduced these terms in HolQeD 8.3:

   "The word for 'top' is {yor}. This refers to the top side or top face of
    an object, such as the top of a box or the top of a table or even the top
    of one's head. It is not the word used for 'lid' or 'cover' or 'cap' (as
    in 'lid of a jar') or removable (and reusable) top of a box. The word for
    this kind of 'top' or 'lid' or 'cover' is {yuvtlhe'}. Similarly, {yor} is
    not the word for the inside of the top of something. If one were sitting
    under a table, the (presumably) flat surface above one is termed the
    {'aqroS} [...] The word for 'bottom,' the counterpart of yor, is pIrmuS.
    This word refers to the underside of something, not the interior bottom
    (such as the bottom of a well or the bottom of a bowl where a few drops
    of milk remain after eating cereal). The word for the interior bottom of
    something is {bIS'ub}. If an item is located in the bottom of a box, it
    is located in the box's {bIS'ub}. If something is found underneath a box,
    it is found beneath the box's {pIrmuS}."

Another option might be *{qatwI'} "wrapper"; i.e. the binding or cover
wraps around or encloses the text block (the bound pages) of the
book.  Some bindings - particularly in the Middle East and Asia -
completely enclose the text, like an envelope.  Who knows what Klingon
bindings look like.  This would also be a good equivalent for a book
jacket.  One objection, however, is that since {qat} "wrap, encase" has
developed a secondary, specialized meaning in music - i.e. to "accompany
(singing) with instrumental music" - {qatwI'} would also mean an accompanist.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level