tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 09 19:37:59 2002

Re: qepHommaj

>jIH: naDev wej tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' lutu'lu'.

The first time I read this, I parsed it as 'There aren't any Klingon
speakers here yet.'  As that did not make sense within the context, I had to
reread it it, and then it was clearly, 'There are three Klingon speakers
here.'.

Does anyone else have any examples of ambiguous statements (deliberate or
unintentional) that they've run into?  I'd like to collect some and maybe
put up a webpage.

I find this one especially interesting, as amiguities generally fall into
two ctaegories: semantic ambiguities, where a single word can mean two
things (example: 'Our bikinis are exciting.  They're simply the tops.'), and
structural ambiguities, where a word can be interpreted as belonging to two
different parts of the phrase (example: 'my rabbit's foot'), but this one
requires both, i.e., {wej} could be interpreted as part of the header or as
part of the object, and it has two different meanings.