tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 06 01:41:09 2002

Re: TOS Episodes with Klingons

At 12:36 AM 1/6/02 -0500, qonwI' wrote:
>*TOS*Daq tlhIngan Hol lo'be' tlhInganpu' 'e' vIQub. jIlughHa''a'? [Or would
>that be jIlughbe''a'? I'm not sure it really matters either way . .
>.]

Although the Klingon language wasn't used in TOS (since it didn't actually
exist when the series was created), when Marc Okrand created the language
he apparently referred back to TOS in order to see what English words the
Klingons used/encountered. For example, since Klingons were familiar with
tribbles in "The Trouble with Tribbles", they would probably have a word
for the creatures. So, we have the word {yIH}.

There are some words that are a bit unusual in the Klingon vocabulary, but
appear in TOS and so were included in The Klingon Dictionary. A few
examples are {mughato'}, {'orghenya'ngan}, {qevaS} & {DIlyum}.

- taD

Back to archive top level