tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 22 21:51:33 2002

Re: agentive -wI'

jatlh Voragh:

>Dajatlhbogh vIyajlaHbe'
>I find no match for what you just said. (KCD .wav file)

Not having KCD, this is the first time I have seen this sentence, and I find
it unusual. Literally translated, I get "I cannot understand (implicit: "the
sentence") which you say". In my mind, it seems that <<Dajatlhbogh>> has
been (semi-) nominalised with no supporting suffix.

My question is: Is this just a result of Dr Okrand directly translating "I
can't understand what you are saying" into English and forcing "what" into
the realm of the relative <<-bogh>>, which we know is less productive than
the English relative pronouns; or is there some deeper force at work here?

Either way, I've been enlightened as to a way of translating "speech"
without using the dreaded <<-ghach>>. :)

Qapla' 'ej Satlho'

ro'Han