tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 20 20:45:24 2002

Re: New Words Correction

In a message dated 2/18/2002 12:49:06 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> There's this Klingon animal, you see, which is kind of
> bull-like. It's called a {tangqa'}. Both male and female ones are called
> {tangqa'}. So it doesn't really mean 'bull.' But it certainly looks like
> one. Or more like a bull than anything else."

jImIStaH.  Is a tangqa' an animal of both genders, either gender, or possibly
no gender but still more resembling a bull than anything else we can
describe?

By analysis of Maltz' explanation, I see clearly that both male and female
ones (tangqa') exist.  I believe that this says male ones exist and female
ones exist.  I do not believe this says that male gender and female gender
are embodied in one tangqa'.

"Or more like a bull than [like] anything else" means to me that it looks
more like a bull than like a Qogh or 'er, etc., not just more like a bull
than a cow.  The key word in this analysis is "anything."

I'm not making any final, concrete declarations here.  I'm only purporting my
analysis.  True, it is biased by what I thought automatically when I first
read Maltz' words.

peHruS

Back to archive top level