tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 19 16:34:15 2002

Back to archive top level

To this year's listing

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: need help

nughel Se'noj:

>Does anyone have a word for drums? I am writing a Haiku (HayQu') in 
>tlhIngan Hol, and this is the only word I am missing

The word you want is {DIr 'In} "drum (percussion instrument with a 
stretched animal skin)".

 From KGT (p. 74-75):

   There are a great many Klingon percussion instruments--that is, instruments
   that make a sound as a result of something striking something else. Klingons
   seem to enjoy playing the percussion instruments more than instruments of
   other types. Among these are various drums and bells. The general term for a
   percussion instrument of any kind is {'In}. Some types of {'In} are struck
   with the hand, either palm (toch) or fist (ro'), depending on the particular
   instrument. To hit the instrument with the palm is {weq}; to strike it with
   the fist is {tlhaw'}. Other members of this group of instruments are hit 
   a stick of some kind. The stick often resembles a small hammer; when it 
   it is termed mupwI'Hom (literally, "small striker"). A plain stick is a 
   (literally, "small cane" or "small staff"). To strike the instrument with a
   stick is to {moq} ("beat") the instrument. The {'In} itself may be made 
   of metal (in which case it might be described as a bell, though in 
Klingon it is
   simply termed {baS 'In}, or "metal 'In") or entirely of wood ({Sor Hap 'In},
   "wood 'In". One kind of {Sor Hap 'In} is a tube, open on both ends, with a
   longitudinal slit extending not quite to either end. It is hit with a 
   Drums made of animal skin stretched over a cylinder of various materials
   are found but are not as common as other types of percussion instruments.
   Such a drum is called a {DIr 'In} (literally, "skin 'In"). A {DIr 'In}
   usually has the skin stretched only over one end. A type of drum with
   skin stretched over both ends is called a {'o'lav}.

Steven L. Boozer
Cataloging Department, University of Chicago Library                 (773) 702-8726

Back to archive top level