tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 07:23:09 2002

Re: KLBC

Greetings, and Welcome to the list!

Seems like you know how to get the BG's attention, so I guess I can skip my introduction.
I am Quvar, the current Beginners' Grammarian, ready to answer your questions.

"Scott Willis" <[email protected]> wrote:
>What is the difference between {thlob}(v) and {ghel}(v)? Is one transitive
>and the other intransitive?
No, both are transitive, {ghel} is only used for questions, if I remember correctly.
Apparently {tlhob} can be used for both asking and requesting.
The object can be the person being asked:
   {lutlhob} "They ask him"
When requesting, the object can also be a sentence describing what you request:
   {juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob}
   "I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship"
   literally: "I request that you lead us [...]"

>a vowel, is this a simple typo, or is it an archaic form, as often cited in
*IloD* is a typo. "man" is {loD}

>I have a thousand other questions, but I can't hog the forum for long.
You can ask anything you want, everyone is willing to help you. And remember, if you need my attention, add KLBC to the subject line. Then it's sure that only I will
answer.

>By way of introduction, my name is Scott, but if you are able, please call
>me ngabwI'. (I'm a semi-pro magician.) Qapla'!
{ngabwI'} "one who disappears" - sounds good.

Welcome to the list, ngabwI'! ;-)

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH