tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 12 12:54:44 2002

Re: KBLC: Header Order

matlh mIStaq asks:
>If a sentance has more than one header supose "naDev" and "not" does it
>matter what order the words come in, as long as they are before the OVS
>string? for example is <<naDev not tera'ngan tu'be'lu'.>> correct while
><<not naDev tera'ghan tu'be'lu'>> incorrect or are both equaly acceptable?

[Since this is primarily an appeal to canon, I'll start the ball rolling...]

AFAIK either order is acceptable, though some sequences seem to make more
logical sense than others (at least to this off-worlder!).  As in English,
varying the position of adverbs or adverbial phrases in a sentence allows
for slight changes in emphasis - e.g. "There are never any Terrans here"
vs. "Here, there are never any Terrans," etc. - though we'd have to ask
Maltz exactly what those differences might be to his Klingon ear.

Here are some examples from canon with two "headers" of various types
coming before the OVS string for you to examine:

naDev juHlIjDaq cha'logh jISopneSchugh vaj jIquv.
It would be an honor to eat twice here at your house, your Honor. PK

batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.  pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'.
Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet where we
battle forever. (Anthem)

DaHjaj nom Soppu'
Today they ate quickly. TKD

qen 'arlogh Qoylu'pu'?
Recently, how many times has someone heard it? (i.e. What time is it?)
[st.k 2/99]

reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS.
The fire is always hotter on someone else's face. PK

roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH
It [Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld." S27

qatlh Dat DI tu'lu' tlhIngan?
Why is there rubble everywhere, Klingon? CK

qatlh pa' ghoS?
What's she doing? ["Why is she [the ship] going there?"] ST6

ghorgh pa'wIjDaq jIchegh?
When can I return to my room? CK

reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj
May you always find a bloodworm in your glass! PK

naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?
Can we get to the Great Hall from here? PK

juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
During the (aggresive) expansion of the Klingon people from their homeworld
of Kronos into space... SP1

poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level