tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 12 10:51:13 2002

RE: chuQun

'ISqu':
> > qech 1/ qech 2/ ghap 'oS mu' chuQun (nobility)?
> >
> > 1. hereditary class that has special social
> >     or political status in a country
> >
> > 2. nobleness of mind, character, or spirit;
> >     exalted moral excellence.

DloraH:
>nuq Hech MO?  jISovchu'be' jIH.

Do'Ha' maSovbe'.  not <<chuQun>> mu' lo'pu' Okrand.

Since Klingon has relatively few nouns for abstract concepts - outside of
{batlh}! <g> - I've always assumed Okrand intended meaning #1.  Remember
that Kruge is called "Lord Kruge" and "my lord" several times in ST3, the
movie for which Okrand created the language.  Perhaps he was thinking that
all the {joHpu'}, the heads of the great houses {tuq} and their wives,
constitute the {chuQun} who rank below the emperor.

Before TNG et al., our knowledge of Klingon society was extremely
limited.  Now we know that there is a hereditary ruling class of warriors
who apparently inherit seats on the High Council {yejquv}.  Okrand also
refers to higher- and lower-classes in the section on "Societal Variation"
in KGT (pp. 36ff.).  {chuQun} is as good as any other word to describe
these people, although he never actually uses that word in KGT.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level