tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 23 16:55:25 2002

Re: Imperial Klingon Vessel

Ubuvor asks:

>what is the word for:  Imperial

Klingon doesn't have adjectives per se, so just use the corresponding noun
{wo'} "empire":  {tlhIngan wo' Duj} "Klingon Empire ship/vessel".  We
actually have an example of this from SkyBox card S7:

   qIvo'rIt toQDuj 'oH tlhIngan wo' Duj pagh'e'
   The Imperial Klingon Vessel Pagh is a K'Vort-class Bird-of-Prey.

>how would this be written:
>        Sergeant baraSungey laqSmIy

   baraSungey laqSmIy bu'

{bu'} is the rank "sergeant", which follows your somewhat complicated (for
a Klingon!) name.

If {laqSmIy} is your House (Line) name, say:

   baraSungey bu' laqSmIy tugh jIH
   I am Sergeant baraSungey of the House of laqSmIy.

but OTOH if {laqSmIy} is your father's name, say:

   baraSungey bu' laqSmIy puqloD jIH
   I am Sergeant baraSungey, son of laqSmIy.

and full the full effect if you're from, for example, the house of Voragh <g>:

   baraSungey bu' laqSmIy puqloD voragh tugh jIH
   I am Sergeant baraSungey, son of laqSmIy, of the House of Voragh.

>        IKV Desert Flame

   tlhIngan wo' Duj Deb qulHom

There's no known Klingon word for "flame", so I used *{qulHom} "minor fire".

Also, I've seen "Imperial Klingon Vessel" abbreviated online to {tlh.w.D.}
"I.K.V." - no doubt to save some typing - but AFAIK Okrand has never used
abbreviations when writing tlhIngan Hol, so you might get some flak from
purists.

Qapla'!

--
Voragh