tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 19 12:48:35 2002

Re: tujpu'

From: <[email protected]>
> {tujpu'} implies that at the time
> setting of the sentence, the heat is gone. It had been there, but now it
is not
> there.

Or, and this is a point I brought up before, the heat had been there, then
it was gone, and we're not really saying if it's there "now."  After all,
it's possible that after /tujpu'/, /tujqa'/.

> Similarly, I'd expect that anyone who said {jIba'pu'} is no longer
> sitting, since this interpretation expands on the potential of clear
> expression. {ba'} has more expressive potential as a stative verb than as
> nonstative, nontransitive one.

This is an interesting suggestion.  Is it your belief that /ba'/ would more
accurately be defined as "be sitting"?

This is a tough verb, since a sentence like "I sit" can mean either "I sit
down," or "I am sitting."  The question here is, does /ba'/ mean "sit down"
or "be sitting"?

And if it means "be sitting," can it be used adjectivally?  Can I use the
phrase */HoD ba'/ "the sitting captain" (somehow I don't think so)?

Notice how the phrase /quSDaq ba'lu''a'?/ seems to consider /ba'/ to mean
"be sitting."  In the idiom /quSDaq bIba'/, however, there isn't only one
interpretation.

> My reason for believing this is a little different from anything anyone
has
> discussed yet. My belief is based upon the observation of the difference
> between Type 3 and Type 7 verb suffixes. Type 3 (-choH and -qa') suffixes
> relate to the beginning of an action or state while Type 7 relates to the
end.

[snip exhaustive list and interpretation]

Your doing this has given me an idea: draw a little timeline and indicate
current heat conditions, compared to time context, showing various things
like continuity and starting and stopping points.  That's probably not a
very good description; when I have a chance to draw this up (and I may not
this weekend, as the I-CON convention starts today), I'll post a link.

SuStel
Stardate 2299.0

Back to archive top level