tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 17 19:53:11 2002

Alphabet/ new(old) klingon

From: [email protected] (Christoph PICHLMANN):

>>>On a side note: Is there any explanation why the klingons look
>>>different in the older(production time series?...
>>We don't discuss this with outsiders.
>
>Yes, I remember that line. But this was a serious question - was this
>episode main-stream or not?

all episodes are mainstream - after all, the series IS the the show, so to
speak; as Star Trek is, was, and ever will be, primarily a TV show, the
episodes will be the "mainstream" (which in some cases is unfortuante).

When this "Why do Klingons look different now" argument turned up here a few
years ago, i had an idea that i did not voice: i like to think that perhaps
as Dr Crusher seemed to like tossing cosmetic surgery around as a form of
disguise, maybe the Klingons did as well, as a sort of xenophobic exercise
forbidding outsiders to see their true appearance (not that this is a
typically Klingon attitude); the theory being here that not all Klingons
looked like the 'old' Kor, Koloth, etc - just the ones that were seen by
off-worlders.

Of course, Gene Roddenberry (or it could have been Mike Okuda) once said in
an interview that the 'real' reason is that the SFX weren't advanced enough
in the 60's to make the Klingons look like they do now, and that you can
just /imagine/ when you watch TOS episodes that the Klingon appearance HAS
always been as it is now.  :P

--DantlhIgh