tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 17 02:36:45 2002

Re: Sean's Translations

jatlh ghunchu'wI' . . .
 > But in the
 > process, he's spewed more bad Klingon onto the list in a few days than I've
 > seen in months, and I see that as a bad thing.

lab qonwI'
 > Is it a sin to make mistakes? Surely you don't expect everyone to write
perfect > Klingon all the time. --qonwI'

What seems to be happening here is that Sean has pre-"translated" the
phrases and is posting each new one without much reference to comments on
the previous ones.  We're used to seeing beginners post mistakes, but they
ought to be a progression of more advanced mistakes, as the beginner
absorbs the lessons of the earlier ones.

Many beginners seek something to write that originates outside their own
brains, but they do themselves a disservice.

In about 1994 someone decided to post a list of translated bumper sticker
slogans, and received much the same criticism.  I believe she fought back
in much the same way as Sean did.  She did, however, eventually see reason,
and became a BG.

Instead of choosing an English phrase and grasping for Klingon grammar and
vocabulary to cover it, choose an aspect of Klingon grammar, and a
selection of Klingon grammar, then use your imagination to express
something with it.  That's what I do when I come up with my ludicroud
translation example sentences, or my exercises in Beginner's Corner (in
HolQeD).  muqawmoH: tugh latlh vIqonnIS.  ra'meH moHaqmey qel.

Back to archive top level