tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 14 01:28:59 2002

Re: "be'be'" - double negation

Sean M. Burke wrote:
>At 00:57 2002-04-14 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
>> >Very true -- the layman of the 23rd+ century, where presumably everyone
who
>> >reads English has studied several non-Indoeuropean languages as a part of
>> >their minimal education -- along with more hearty pursuits like temporal
>> >mechanics, warp field theory, and how to make hors-d'oeuvres for
>> >silicon-based guests;
>>
>>You're describing a Starfleet officer, not a layman, even a 23rd century
one.

>If poverty has been eliminated at least throughout Earth, why would people
>make do with inferior educations?

This argument has merit (although education is not a priority for everyone
today, even those who can afford it).  Yet I think it's going way out on a
limb to use it as evidence to support an idea about double negation.  Do you
really think Dr. Okrand considered this when he chose how to describe points
of grammar in TKD?  He was writing a book that he knew would in fact be read
by laymen of the _20th_ century, and that's just how his explanations sound.

-Sengval

Back to archive top level