tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 30 20:45:22 2001

Aspiration of semi-geminate

Hi all,

I am currently being bugged with a question that I haven't been able to
resolve for myself.

The question is: Does the /t/ in <<vIttlhegh>> have aspirated release, or is
it unreleased? I know that in KGT, Dr O states that geminate consonants may
receive phonemic length in lieu of the double release which would be
expected. However, at least as far as I can find, he hasn't said anything
yet about whether the /t/ which is part of <<tlh>> also produces this effect
when coupled with a preceding /t/, or whether one should always pronounce
the /t/ with normal aspiration, then go on with the rest of the word.

Is this combination conducive to the shortening phenomenon as well? (Which
would effectively make the word /vItlhegh/.)

Are there many studies of Klingon phonetics in progress? I have considered
doing one myself, using the PK and CK tapes, and maybe even how it is spoken
by some of the listers, if any of you are keen to volunteer :)

Please reply with your thoughts on either of these issues.

Qapla' 'ej Satlho'

ro'Han