tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 27 11:32:03 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: chut (v)

: Klingon word:   chut
: Part of Speech: verb
: Definition:     law

AFAIK, {chut} has only been used in the "ST: Klingon!" (KCD) novelization
(p.23f):

    Then speaking to Pok, but looking directly into Vok's face,
  [K'Tar] said, "Throw this {veQ} out."
    Pok stood and moved toward Vok, reaching for the unwanted guest.
    "{bIyem'a'}!" Vok said. Pok stopped short of grabbing Vok...
    "The celebration," Vok said, "was declared a {lop'no}.  You have
  invited the spirits of all our Klingon ancestors. Tradition dictates
  that all are welcome to the {lop 'no}. Even ancient rivals. Even me,
  K'Tar."
    "{Chut Quj}," K'Tar said.
    "{Luq ratlh}," Pok said, almost spitting his words at Vok.

Here {chut Quj} seems to mean something like "he plays by the law (rules)"?
Someone however suggested that K'Tar might really have said {chut QIj}, "He
explained the law".  (The authors of the book often capitalized words where
they shouldn't have, changed I's to U or added extraneous U's: e.g. *{Quapla'}
instead of {Qapla'}.)

Cf. also the verb {pab} "follow/adhere to (rules)" which Okrand indicates can
apply to laws:

  batlh ghob yIpab
  Adhere to virtue honorably. TKW

  The Klingon verb in the expression, {pab}, is here translated
  "adhere", but it is also used to mean "follow", in the sense of
  following rules, suggesting perhaps that, though not officially
  laws, virtues should be followed as if they were. (TKW p.47)

If so, then {bIv} break (rules)" and {pabHa'} "misfollow (the rules), follow
(the rules) wrongly" are also relevant.

Related nouns include {paQDI'norgh} "teachings".  Some on the list have used
*{chutHom} for "rule" (i.e. of a game) though in light of Okrand's comment,
{chut} may well cover this as well.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons