tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 15 19:16:10 2001

RE: Enterprise

pIj jIQupchoHlaw'taH.

> >You might look closer to the translation of "Kahless, the
> Unforgetable" and
> >come closer to something like:
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.  :-p

I do what I can.

> >Actually, I'm not happy with anything I can come up with here.
> It's really
> >just a bad approach. Klingon ship names tend to be relatively
> simple, like
> >{pagh} or {targh}.
>
> I'd meant to imply that only "special" ships would be named so oddly; in
> particular prototypes or one-of-a-kind ships.  But my excerpt doesn't show
> it of course.

I'm pretty sure that the one-of-a-kind prototype ship that could fire while
cloaked was named {pagh}.

> >"One who cannot be stopped" is just not something that
> >would roll off a Klingon tongue. There's a difference between one that
> >doesn't stop and one that cannot be stopped and you aren't close to the
> >latter.
>
> Even today I don't pretend to actually know Klingon.  That
> probably explains
> that.  If everything was different, and the script had been up
> for filming,
> I'm sure I'd have consulted Okrand for his take.

I'm sure he would have winced, but on the phone, you wouldn't know it. He
winced when the director/producer, Leanard Nimoy turned to him and said,
"Give me 'To be, or not to be." Wincing won't stop him from producing a
response (even if it later makes US wince).

> >> Worf: "Juggernaut, sir.  'The unstoppable'."
>
> [...]
>
> >> Dunno if Okrand had anything of the sort in mind though...
>
> >Likely not.
>
> Agreed.
> --
> ||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
> ||  847-952-9729    [email protected]    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||

charghwI'

Back to archive top level