tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 28 04:02:16 2001

Klingon literature: clipped or flowery?

Hello, it's me again!

And I have another question.
When I translated the story about the northwind and the sun, Clayton
sent me his version, and I noticed that it was a lot shorter. This
brings me to the question:
Are Klingons as curt in their literature as they are in their everyday
conversation? Would an author be called weak or un-Klingon if he used
more words than strictly necessary?
This question really made me think when I considered translating "The
Oval Portrait" for the Poe Project. This story could be expressed in
-hm- five(?) sentences of Clipped Klingon, and thus be about 90%
shorter than the original.

So, what do you think: should telling a Klingon a story be like giving
a report, or is it okay to be more verbose?

Thank you

Daniela B

Back to archive top level