tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 19 10:14:36 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: HIqqIj (n)

: Klingon word:   HIqqIj
: Part of Speech: noun
: Definition:     black ale

Holtej,

Why do you list this as one word?  It comes from Conversational Klingon
audiotape:

  HIq qIj reghuluS 'Iw HIq ghap jab.
  They serve Black Ale or Regulan bloodwine. CK

  HIq qIj vItlhutlh vIneH.
  I'll have the Black Ale. CK

{HIq qIj} is simpler and grammatical.  There's no reason to invent an unusual
compound noun without any evidence.  It's not listed in KGT in either form, is
it?  (I don't have it with me at the moment.)

For comparison, we now know from KGT that {'Iw HIq} turns out to be two words
in Klingon, not one as we might have expected from the Paramount's English
translation "bloodwine".  Go figure.

PS: according to the tape Black Ale is "a tourist drink", probably considered
fairly weak - by Klingon standards, that is!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level