tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 18 13:13:45 2001

RE: KLBC: Limmerick vIqonta'

SuStel:

> There is at least one known ungrammatical bit of song:

> yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'  /  Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw.
> (from /Qoy qeylIS puqloD/, also known as /SuvwI' van bom/)

> The line SHOULD read /yoHbogh SuvwI' 'ej matlhbogh Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw/
> ("The blood of battle washes clean the warrior brave and true").  You
can't
> join two verbs with /je/.  But this doesn't fit in with the song's meter.

> . . .

> P.S.: I think it's quite possible that the ungrammatical line in /Qoy
> qeylIS puqloD/ was written without fully realizing that it was wrong.
> Whatever the real-world explanation, it's set in stone now.

The line is not actually as wrong as we often think it is. <je> can also be
used as an adverbial after a verb, meaning "also", so this line does *not*
have to be interpreted as a noun conjunction joining two verb clauses. The
subject of the two verbs with <-bogh> generally should come after the first
verb <yoHbogh>, but it does not *have* to. So the only real problem is that
the conjunction <'ej> is missing. As poetic license goes, this is a pretty
minor deal.

pagh

Back to archive top level