tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 16 12:46:59 2001

Re: KLBC

From: <[email protected]>
> > chay' "email" "webpage" je vIjatlh?
>
> For email many on this list use jabbI'ID.
> For website I use <De'wI' ghom'a' Daq>.  Notice I'm using the noun Daq,
not the
> suffix -Daq

Keep in mind that these are phrases that only make sense in hindsight.  Some
people may be able to puzzle out what you're meaning is, but others won't.
For "Internet," someone might be expecting /qo' De'wI' pat/ instead of your
/De'wI' ghom'a'/.  But it doesn't mean "Internet," it means "world computer
system," which could mean a lot of things.

For specialized English vocabulary we don't have in Klingon, just use the
English term.  How many foreign (human) languages have their own word for
"website"?  Not many, I'll bet.  They just say "website."

> > tlhIngan Hol vIlaD 'e' vInID, 'ach mu'mey vISovbe'bogh
> > tu'lu'.  chay' nom mu'mey vIghojlaH?
>
> Apply them to everyday life.  Take them to work with you.
> Also, there are flashcard programs available.

Even better: write Star Trek stories.  Klingon doesn't have (known) words
for "car," "office," "traffic jam," and so on, but it does have words for
"ship," "torpedo," and "beam up."  Once you can write Star Trek stories,
you'll have a better idea how to apply Klingon to real life.

SuStel
Stardate 1792.6

Back to archive top level