tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 04 16:54:57 2001

Re: Strange coincidence

Qor'etlh wrote:
: Speaking of strange coincidences: "ferenghi" means "foreigner" in one
: of the Afghani dialects..

It has been noted and discussed in several Trek fora that *farang* means
"foreigner, Westerner, Frank" in a number of languages including, to this
non-linguist at least, English -- consider a possible metathesis (phonetic
transposition) of the G and N in "foreigner".

A quick search on google.com produced a couple of informative posts:

message at <www.emich.edu/~linguist/issues/4/4-492.html >