tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 24 18:38:38 2001

RE: KLBC: Dab

> To the best of my knowledge (and I could be wrong)
> sentences (1a) and (1b) are both fine, though sentence
> (1a) is preferable.
>
> (1a) vengHom vIDab.
> (1b) vengHomDaq jIDab.

The object of Dab is the place.  vengHom vIDab is the way to do it.
vengHomDaq jIDab, tho grammatically correct, to my ear sounds kind of like
your homeless.  Dab is defined as "dwell in/at, reside in/at"; the locative
is part of the definition.
veng vIDab.  Rochester vIDab.  juH vIDab.  nuv juH vIDab.

> Does this mean we can translate "Where do you live?"
> in two different ways? If so, which is better?
>
> (2a) nuqDaq bIDab?
> (2b) nuqDaq DaDab?

nuqDaq DaDab?

A discussion I saw once was, because Dab by definition includes the
locative, when asking the question can one use nuq:  nuq DaDab?  Before this
starts to worry you, you can put -Daq on the object, with an
object-stating-prefix, but it's certainly not needed (like ghoS);  vengDaq
vIDab.

But in the end, the proper klingon way is:
nuqDaq DaDab?
Rochester vIDab.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level