tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 08 17:55:31 2001

RE: Use of {jon} (was QQ22)

> ghaHbe'wI':
> : <<HeghtaHba'>> be' qan.
> : <<HeghlI'ba'>> vIjon. nuq vuDlIj?
>
> DloraH:
> > jon?  chay' {jon} Dalo'?
>
> : {jon} "to capture".
> : vaj mu'tlheghmey vIjon 'ej ghIq vIqon (qoj vIgher).
>
> ghaHbe'wI' is right; {jon} is indeed used metaphorically in
> Klingon idioms:
>
>    In Klingon, opportunities are captured [jon], not taken;
>    a missed opportunity is said to have escaped [nargh]." (TKW 51)
>
>    I'd probably take an idiomatic approach incorporating the phrase
>    {nargh 'eb} "the opportunity escapes" ... This goes along with
>    other expressions such as {'eb jon} "he/she captures the opportunity"
>    or, more colloquially "he/she seizes the opportunity".
>    (MO on st.klingon 1/98)
>
> : (Anyway, that's just me trying to get Klingon style, not just writing
> : using Klingon language)
>
> Don't worry about it.  Too many people on this list read Klingon
> too literally,
> hunting for grammatical and vocabulary errors.  Literary style
> goes right over
> the heads of some people; your attempt at style has escaped them,
> as it were.
> <g>  Keep it up.

I am aware of the metaphoric use of jon, I understood what he was saying;
I've just never seen it used as a way to suggest a different way of writing
something.  I certainly don't discourage metaphors.

DloraH

Back to archive top level