tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 08 10:39:31 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: nIv (v)

: Klingon word:     nIv
: Part of Speech:   verb
: Definition:       be superior
: Additional Notes: Opposite of {QIv}.

As used in canon:

  bortaS nIvqu' 'oH bortaS'e'
  Revenge is the best revenge. TKW

  'etlh QorghHa'lu'chugh ragh 'etlh nIvqu' 'ej jejHa'choH
  Even the best blade will rust and grow dull unless it is cared for. TKW

  yIntaHbogh qagh jablu'DI' reH nIvqu' qagh
  Gagh is always best when served live. TKW

  wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap
  We succeed together in a greater whole. TKW

  Dujeychugh jagh nIv yItuHQo'
  There is nothing shameful in falling before a superior enemy
  ["If a superior enemy defeats you, don't be ashamed"]. TKW

Another clue that {nIv} and {QIv} can refer to people or, at least, groups of
people is this note from KGT:

  "Accordingly, when dealing with a troop member (QaS) or officer
   (yaS) of a ship, to avoid giving offense, one should either find
   out ahead of time how that ship fits into the hierarchical
   structure or else carefully avoid making references to other
   units as superior or inferior." (KGT 51f)

Cf. also the noun {moch} "superior" - "someone of higher rank in the Klingon
social, political, or military hierarchy" (TKD 43).

Finally, we have this problematic line from ST5, which I've supplemented with
Okrand's recently published notes:

  HoD, yo'SeH yaHnIvvo' potlh De' wIHevtaH.    (ST5 notes)
  Captain, new data, hostages on Nimbus III.   (ST5 subtitle)

Apparently Paramount changed the subtitle after they filmed the scene,
combining two different lines.  (IIRC the movie was plagued with constant
last-minute changes, even on the day of filming.)  The original line appears in
the novelization, derived from an earlier version of the script:

  "Captain, we are receiving a priority message from [Fleet]
   Operations Command."                        (ST5 novel)

Related verbs include {Dun} "be wonderful, be great" and {tIn} "be big, be
large".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons