tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 02 10:54:01 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: lolSeHcha (n-pl)

: Klingon word:   lolSeHcha
: Part of Speech: inherently plural noun
: Definition:     attitude-control thrusters

After a detailed discussion on this list a few months ago, we learned that
attitude-control thrusters are those small propulsion units used to control the
spacial orientation, or attitude (i.e. yaw, pitch, roll), of a spacecraft.

"These would be the small cross-shaped rocket packs one sees on the sides of
the Apollo series Service Module, or the clusters of rockets in the nose and on
either side of the tail of the Space Shuttle. (They are also the small square
openings in four spots around the saucer of the Enterprise-A which are
surrounded by orange paint.)" (Qob)

Scott Inman pointed out that when Chang's cloaked BoP fired upon Kronos One in
ST6, its attitude-control thrusters were disabled causing it to list and spin
almost out of control.

Cf. also {chuyDaH} "thrusters" (plural) and {vIj} "thruster" (singular).  From
the Bird-of-Prey poster, we know of {Hong boq chuyDaH} "impulse fusion
thrusters" and {'o' chuyDaH} "aft thrusters".  You usually fire {laQ}
thrusters:

  chuyDaH yIlaQ!
  Fire the thrusters! TKD

though you may be able to activate {chu'} or energize {rIH} them as well.

Related verbs include {ghoS} "thrust" and {vo'} "propel".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level