tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 01 08:28:19 2001

Re: onomatopeia

From: "Sean Healy" <[email protected]>

> In English we can say something like 'The monkey said, 'Ooh-ooh-ah-ah',
but
> I guess in Klingon we'd have to say 'The targ made a targ noise'.

jatlh targh rrrrrrrrrrrrrrghghghghghghghghgh!
jatlh tlhIngan ha ha ha ha ha ha!

By the way,

on·o·mat·o·poe·ia (n-mt-p, -mät-)
n.
The formation or use of words such as buzz or murmur that imitate the sounds
associated with the objects or actions they refer to.  (The American
Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)

/Hagh/ is an onomatopoeia.  "Ooh-ooh-ah-ah" is not (it's not a word).  "Ha
ha" is, kinda sorta.  What you're looking for is license to transcribe
nonverbal vocalizations.  Personally, I don't see why you can't do this.
Remember, we're not using a native Klingon writing system, and our lettering
represents the SOUNDS of Klingon, not the writing system.  If you can
represent a needed sound with these symbols, go for it.

SuStel
Stardate 1836.0

Back to archive top level