tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 30 12:44:12 2001

law', puS, and time stamps...

I've seen use of time stamps and adverbs on nouns in a law'/puS construction
to show change over time, as in a statement charghwI' made:

DaH be'vam 'IH law' wa'maH vaghben be'vam 'IH puS.

Which apparently is "The woman is now more beautiful than she was fifteen
years ago." Is this grammatical, or was charghwI' just sort of winging it?

I made a similar statement while translating more X-Files quotes (because I
know how much you all *love* it when I do that.):

vIt tu'lu'taH 'ach DaH vIt Qob law' ret vIt Qob puS.

The truth is still out there, but it's never been more dangerous.
(More literally, the truth continues to be found, but the truth now is more
dangerous than it was in the past.)

(Now you know why I asked that ret/pIq question a few days ago. :)