tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 29 17:20:08 2001

Re: A little Poetry

>I had a sentence corrected a while ago by charghwI' in which he told me
>noun
>suffixes in some sentences *are* best put on the pronoun, as in the
>original
>corrected sentence:
>
>     tlhIngan mu' ghaHHey <<loDnI'>>
>     The Klingon word for "brother" is apparently <<loDnI'>>
>
>Here, the pronoun <<ghaH>> does take a suffix, the apparent <<-Hey>>, so it
>would seem correct that pronouns can take noun suffixes.

But in that sentence, ghaH is used as a verb - he/she is. Wouldn't -law' be
the proper suffix instead of -Hey?

Although I'm no grammarian--far from it--it seems to me that the only
suffixes that would make any sense on pronouns are Type 5 ones--'oHmo'
"because of it", ghaHDaq "to him/her", SoHvo' "from you," jIHvaD "for me,"
maH'e' "we (as topic)." Even if the other suffixes were grammatical, they
would make little or no sense. 'oHDaj (his/her it) is just confusing, and
the same thing could be said with DochDaj.