tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 24 16:18:33 2001

bach

How would I say something like "I shot the man"? I thought of using (bach),
but after reading KGT p.56, it looks like (bach) means "shoot as a
projectile," and not "shoot with a projectile." So (loD vIbach) would mean
something like "I shot the man as if he were a projectile." This would work
if I was shooting him out of a cannon, but not if I was firing rounds into
him. I thought of a few alternatives, but do they work?

(vIHoHmeH HIch vIlo') - I used a gun in order to kill him. (If I didn't kill
him, I could use rIQmoH or QID.) This might work, but it doesn't really
convey the idea that I fired a gun and the bullet killed him. I could very
well have pistol-whipped the guy and killed him that way. Plus, it doesn't
say if I was successful; it only says that the purpose of the gun was to
kill the man.

(loDDaq jIbach) - I shoot (a projectile) at the man. This doesn't really
work either; it says I'm shooting at him, but doesn't say if I hit him or
not. Perhaps it could be used for those movies where the bad guys always
miss even though they're ten feet away.

(jIbach 'ej loD vIHoH/vIQID) - I shoot (a projectile) and I kill/wound the
man. This would seem to be the best choice. Maybe I could add (loDDaq)
before (jIbach) to help convey that I was aiming at the man.

Is there a more concise way to say this, or are my ideas good?

PS. On an unrelated note, 'e' can be used as a pronoun to refer to the
previous sentence, as in ('e' neHbe' vavwI') "That's not what my father
wanted" from ST6. Can 'e' take Type 5 suffixes when used this way? Well, the
only one that makes much sense is -mo'. And possibly -'e'. For example:

SuvwI' wa': lojmit vIngaQmoHbe'. (I didn't lock the door.)
SuvwI' cha': 'e'mo' cha'pujqutmeymaj lunIHlu' jay'! (Because of that, our
f***ing dilithium crystals were stolen!)

SuvwI' wa': HoD, qama'pu' DImuHpu'. (Captain, we have executed the
prisoners.)
HoD: 'e' vIneHbe'! (That's not what I wanted!)
SuvwI' cha': Dujchaj wIQaw'pu' je. (We also destroyed their ship.)
HoD: 'e''e' vIneH! (THAT'S what I wanted!)