tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 19 03:01:45 2001

The Klingon langauge and dyslexia

I have recently been talking to Mark E. Shoulson (Assistant Director of the
KLI) about the Klingon language in respect to a specific interest, and he
has suggested that I put my request to this forum.

As a researcher into dyslexia in different languages and in multilingual
contexts I would be very interested in hearing from any dyslexic
individuals who have learnt Klingon. My interest is to compare and contrast
the learning of Klingon to the acquisition of other languages. Thus for
example, is Klingon (spoken and written) easier to learn than Japanese for
an English first language person. And is it easier for a Swede to learn
Klingon than English.

To explain a little further, my theory of dyslexia and the language
difficulties is summarised in the following "definition".

"Dyslexia is a reading and writing difficulty that may be caused by a
combination of phonological, visual and auditory processing deficits. Word
retrieval and speed of processing difficulties may also be present. A
number of possible underlying biological causes of these cognitive deficits
have been identified, and it is probable that in any one individual there
may be several causes. The manifestation of dyslexia in any individual will
depend upon not only individual cognitive differences, but also the
language used."

I look forward to reading the resultant discussion and being contacted by
those who wish to talk further about this.

Regards

Ian Smythe
University of Surrey, UK
[email protected]