tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 18 19:55:00 2001

RE: KLBC first post (p'an)

ja'pu' p'an:
> p'an jIH. mu'tlheghvam nIchov'a'?
> Will you evaluate these sentances?

ja' Qov:
>"Will you evaluate them?" is not the same as "Will the Romulans attack
>tomorrow?"

It *can* be the same, though the context here does suggest that p'an didn't
mean it that way.

>The first is a question about current willingness.  The
>second is a question about the future.  To translate the question about
>the future, the simple <wa'leS HIv'a' romuluSngan?> is correct.  But to
>translate "Will you evaluate them?" you need to realize that it means "Are
>you willing to evaluate them?"  Then it becomes obvious that you need
>the type-2 verb suffix -qang.
>
>mu'tlheghvam DIchovqang'a'?

In this case, I agree with you, but it's not always so obvious.  TKD's
appendix of useful phrases includes a strikingly similar "Will you read my
manuscript?"  The translation lacks the "willing" idea, being simply
{ghItlh vIghItlhta'bogh DalaD'a'}.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level