tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 18 07:26:08 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: ghal (v)

: Klingon word:   ghal
: Part of Speech: verb
: Definition:     be jealous (of), envy
:
: Additional Notes:
: HolQeD 8:3.  There is also an idiomatic phrase which conveys the idea of
: jealousy: {SuD veqlargh mInDu'}.

Both are discussed by Marc Okrand in HolQeD 8.3:

  It is used in such sentences as:
    {jIghal}       "I am jealous"
    {choghal}      "you envy me, you are jealous of me"
    {torgh vIghal} "I am jealous of Torg"
  There is also an idiomatic phrase which conveys the idea of jealousy:
  {SuD veqlargh mInDu'}.  Literally, this means "Fek'lhr's eyes are
  yellow/green", but it is used to express the idea that somebody is
  jealous.  It would be used in an exchange such as: