tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 09 15:47:45 2001

RE: Expelling Ambiguity

> Isn't there some source that says that time elements tend to "come at the
> beginning" of a sentence?  I'm thinking it might be in CONVERSATIONAL
> KLINGON, in which case I can check it in my car on the way home.  But if
> it's in CK, it's not going to be a particularly definitive statement: CK
> tends to oversimplify its description of grammar.  If it says "time words
> come at the beginning of an expression," that's not a very strong
> indication.  Better would me actually remembering to go through canon
> tonight and seeing what's already been done.
>
> If my instincts are correct (roD DujwIj vIvoq), adverbials TEND to come
> before header nouns, but are not REQUIRED to do so.  In cases
> where a header
> noun (or noun phrase) comes before an adverbial, it will LIKELY be a time
> element, but not necessarily.

roD ram qaS wanI' - usually it occurs at night.
  (sometimes it occurs in the day, but usually at night.)

ram roD qaS wanI' - at night it usually occurs.
  (this event takes place at night, not every night, but usually it does
occur)

DloraH

Back to archive top level