tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 09 11:36:07 2001

Re: Expelling Ambiguity

SuStel:
> > I feel certain that the position of a time reference at the
> > beginning of a
> > sentence is mentioned by Okrand somewhere, but I don't have my
> > books with me
> > when I'm at work!  Does anyone know what the source is?

Qov:
> I don't have the book with me at work either.  It's in the syntax
> section of the addendum to TKD.  Something to the effect of '... we now
> know more about the requirement of adverbs to come at the beginning of
> a sentence, what is actually happening is that they precede the main
> part of the sentence but can follow a word indicating a time.' That's
> nowhere near an exact quote.

if that's what SuStel was thinking of, it goes like this:
(TKD, Addendum, p 179, 6.7. Placement of Adverbial elements)

"It is possible for an element of another type to precede the
adverb. Most commonly this is a time element."

It doesn't say anything about the ordering of "time element"s
and other "element of another type"s (i.e. other than subject
or object).

					Marc Ruehlaender
					aka HomDoq
					[email protected]