tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 21 05:56:42 2001

RE: KLBC: Patience makes perfect

Robert said:

> qesDajvad Qon jabbI'IDmey JIlad.
> I read Qon's posting for his suggestions.

Watch out for capitalization typos - the Klingon letters {S} and {D} are
always uppercase, and {j} is lowercase.

The verb prefix you used here, {jI-}, is used to indicate "I - no object".
So you could say {jIlaD} to mean "I read (in general)". However, here you
are reading something specific: {jabbI'IDmey} ("data transmissions"). So the
prefix that you should use is "I - them", which is {vI-}:
{jabbI'IDmey vIlaD} "I read the data transmissions"

Also, not a comment on grammar, but I think you meant the name "Qov", who is
a "her".

> ngeDmo' tlhingan Hol pab
> tlhIngan Hol mu'tey lo'laHlaw' law' pab lo'laHlaw'pus.
> Because Klingon Grammar is easy
> Klingon Vocabulary seems more valuable than the Grammar.

Your grammar here is good. Again, just watch out for typos - "vocabulary" is
spelled {mu'tay'}, and you want a space before the word {puS}.

> qechmey jIqel jInID.
>  I will try to consider ideas.

Since you are considering *ideas*, you want to use the verb prefix that
indicates "I - them". Again, this is {vI-}. So the first part of your phrase
would be:
{qechmey vIqel} "I consider ideas"

The second part of the phrase is "I try", and you are trying "to consider
ideas". There is a special word in Klingon that is used just for this type
of sentence - the pronoun {'e'} ("that"). This word is explained on pages
65-66 of TKD.
{'e'} is used to refer to the previous sentence, and acts as an object of a
sentence. Often, a single English sentence will be translated as two
separate sentences in Klingon, and we use {'e'} in the second sentence to
refer to the first sentence as a whole.
For example, the English sentence "I know that you are hungry" would be
rewritten in Klingon as: "You are hungry.  I know that."
{bIghung.} "You are hungry"
{'e' vISov.} "I know that"
In the above example, {'e'} refers to the entire sentence "You are hungry".

For your sentence,"I will try to consider ideas", we will separate it into
two sentences: "I consider ideas. I will try that." This translates into
Klingon as:
{qechmey vIqel} "I consider ideas"
{'e' vInID} "I will try that"

> I also read Pagh-le' mail. You will inevitably have to include non-klingon
> words as terms like mahayana, buddha, boddhisatva, dharma, sangha are
> practically untranslatable. You might be best off transliterating these
> words and then explaining them, which is how English translators of
> Buddhism work. Rather than coining new terms.
>
> Questions
>
> Can anyone suggest a better word than valuable lo'laH?

{lo'laH} ("be valuable") seemed good to me, but you might also use {qub}
("be rare") or {lI'} ("be useful").

> I wasn't sure where to place ngeDmo' tlhIngan Hol pab, it seemed best to
> put it  at the start of the sentence.

maj.  Putting it at the start works fine.

- taD