tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 10 21:25:25 2001

Re: Translation of songs into Klingon?

ja' Qov:
>...there are a number of songs in Klingon, enough that we
>shuold have a songbook.

wej ben bommey boSlaw'lI' jIlQun DaraQ je.  jInmolHeychaj Dotlh vISovbe'.

bom paq gherqang'a' vay'?  ghItlh puS vIghaqlaH jIH.  wa' jI'ogh; cha'
vImughta'.  <gho' 'oH> vImuchta'be' 'ach DIp bom Sovlu'bej.  (QIt latlh
vImughchoH, 'aj jIyonbe'chu'.)

Tom Twohy and David Barron were soliciting original Klingon songs about
three years ago.  I wonder what happened with that.

Does anyone wish to volunteer to put together an informal KLI songster?
I've got several pieces I can contribute, including an original acrostic
work and translated renditions of Sesame Street's "It's a Circle" and the
Noun song from Grammar Rock.  (My attempt to produce <Qo'noS chab> has a
good beginning, I think, but it's probably going to be another few years
before I get back into the groove well enough to work on it further, and it
of course loses almost all the cultural references in translation.)

I have also unearthed a <Dap bom> that some of you might find amusing:

  jeq.  'un chIl.
  ben tap De' 'Il.
  Du' vetlh je pe'.  lo' wa': tIr.
  jeq.  bel Daw'.