tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 06 05:26:01 2001

Re: KLBC: first post

This is the translation for what I was meaning to say:

My name is ghItlhwI' [I love to write, so I thought this would be a good
Klingon name-- let me know if there are any problems with it]. I am
frustrated because the grammer is strange. My grammer is bad. Can you
understand me?

Here's how I wrote it in Klingon:

ghItlhwI' 'oH pongwIj'e'.  jImogh pab Hujmo'.  qub pabwIj.  choyajlaH'a' ?

What changes should I make in the Klingon version to make it match the
English version of what I wrote?

>In that second sentence {-mo'} could either be a noun Type 5 suffix moved
>from {pab} to the trailing adjective, {Huj} (in which case, go back and
>read about where nouns with Type 5 suffixes belong in a sentence), or it
>could be a verb Type 9 suffix (in which case you should look at the word
>order again, since subjects trail verbs).
>
>In any case, as a beginner, it is always a good idea to post your intended
>message in English as well as Klingon so the BG can tell if you have
>succeeded in saying what you mean. This is so much kinder than saying
>something in Klingon and asking the BG, "Can you understand what I said?"
>
>Your message is a case in point, since you have clearly made a mistake, but
>depending on what you meant, it would be one of two different mistakes. The
>English translation would have made it clear which error you made. Did you
>mean, "I'm frustrated because of strange grammar," or "I am frustrated
>because the grammar is strange,"?

Back to archive top level